Has this kind of thing ever happened to you — when immediately after cutting your pattern pieces from the main fabric, you suddenly realized that you forgot to add the seam allowance? It makes one sweat to think about it.
Seam allowances in sewing — that value, in which to add to sewing patterns along with all the outlines for assembly and processing seams of the garment.
If you create pattern blocks yourself or take them from a printed magazine then most often, they will not include a seam allowance. In this situation, you absolutely need to put down seam allowances before cutting with the help of a ruler or template of the required size. If you forget, the finished garment will be too small in size.
In Vikisews patterns, the seam allowances are already included. That makes it convenient. We eliminate the likelihood of forgetting them and you can cut the patterns as they are.
- Most commonly the seam allowances are 1 cm. Why is that? This value is easy to remember. It's suited for the assembly of a garment from a thin and medium thickness of low-fraying fabrics. It’s also convenient to work with this seam allowance as it’s oriented to the width of the sewing foot.
- 1.5 cm is given on lapped seams as a narrower seam allowance is difficult to go around and cover the raw edges.
- On sewing the pocket bag by 1.5 cm — the pocket is more commonly sewn from lining material which can fray a lot.
- From 1-4 cm along the hem line, depending on its fashion.
- 2-4 cm along the bottom of the sleeve. A large seam allowance along the bottom of a garment is the standard method because it’s possible to give out a little length by necessity on its account. Same with the sleeve.
- For processing several junctions (for example, the front edge, the seam of a collar facing, of a lapel, a flap, a waistband, etc.) a seam allowance of 1 cm could be a little big. In this case, the instructions will absolutely keep a paragraph concerning trimming the seam to the necessary size.
When to increase the seam allowances
публикация новых комментариев
доступна только авторизованным пользователям