Topstitched elastic waistbands are totally on trend. Find out how to topstitch an elastic waistband properly with our #vikisews_sewinghacks. 👌🏼
- Cut out a waistband piece following the pattern.
Cut a piece of elastic.
The elastic must be 5 mm (just under 1/4”) narrower than the finished waistband. Suppose the waistband piece is 13 cm (5 1/8”) wide: ((1 cm (3/8”) seam allowance) + (5.5 cm (2 1/8”) wide finished waistband)) × 2.
In that case, the elastic must be 5 cm (2”) wide.
- Match the waistband’s short edges and stitch them together. Press the seam allowances open.⠀
Overlap the short edges of elastic and stitch them together so that the seam allowances are 1 cm (3/8”) wide.
- Turn the waistband right side out, fold it in half lengthwise and press.
Using a vanishing fabric marker, put marks at every 2 cm along the fold and the cut edge in a staggered order.
- Place the elastic inside the waistband; align the waistband edges, pin and machine-stitch 1 cm (3/8”) away from the edge.
- Distribute the elastic evenly inside the waistband.
Divide the waistband into quarters and pin elastic to the waistband at every quarter point.
- Join the marks at the fold with marks at the edge by topstitching. Stop 1 cm (3/8”) short of the edge each time.
That’s it! If your waistband is intended for a pair of joggers, make sure to wear them with a cropped top so that everyone can see how perfect the details are. :)
Read more sewing tips on Vikisews Blog: