Usually, sewing a fly front is one of the most daunting tasks. Sequence matters! Watch this Vikisews sewing video and give it a try. You can do it!
- Interface the fly front and fly shield pieces.
- Fold the fly shield in half, with the right sides facing inwards. Sew the bottom curved edge.
- Trim the seam allowance at the corner. Turn the piece right side out and press.
- Finish the long edge on the overlocker. Press the seam allowance and hide the thread tails inside the seam.
- Overlock the outer edge of the fly front piece.
- Place the fly front piece right sides together with the right front leg, align the edges, and stitch on the sewing machine.
- Press the seam allowances open. Fold the fly front to the wrong side of the front leg and press with the seam right on the edge.
- Place the right and left front legs right sides together and stitch up to the notch on the fly front. Press the seam.
- Press the zipper seam allowance on the left front leg to the wrong side.
- Preshrink the zipper tape by pressing.
- Place one side of the zipper tape onto the left front leg, aligning the zipper teeth with the pressed seam allowance. Match the zipper top stopper with the mark on the fly front and stitch the zipper in place.
- Topstitch along the opening at 2 mm from the fly front seam.
- Turn the front leg pieces wrong side out. Place the fly shield over the zipper tape and secure with a basting stitch.
- Fold the right front leg away. Open the zipper and topstitch at 2 mm from the seam, securing the fly shield in place from the right side.
- Close the zipper and pin the garment along the center front line from the right side.
- Turn the garment wrong side out. Fold the fly shield aside and pin the other side of the zipper tape to the fly front. Stitch in place.
- Sew two rows of topstitching on the right side, securing the edge of the fly shield.
- Return the fly shield to its original position and press. Align the fly front edge with the fly shield and secure with a bartack.
- Trim the excess zipper tape and install the top zipper stoppers.
We hope you can handle this sewing step now.
Find more sewing tutorials by Vikisews: